Saturday, February 12, 2011

{Conversation Heart Coasters}

*This tutorial was posted on See Kate Sew on Tuesday, but just in case you missed it...here it is!*

{Conversation Heart Coasters}

110_4906

They are so fun to make and include a little of everything…embroidery, appliqué, quilting…fun fun fun! Alrighty friends lets get to it!

Materials:

Canvas/linen {for tops}

solid cotton {for hearts}

printed cotton {far backing}

batting

little embroidery hoop

red embroidery thread

embroidery needles

basic sewing supplies

Marking Pen (disappearing/water soluble ink)

Fabric Glue

Heart Shaped Cookie cutter

1. Gather all your supplies.

110_4890

2. Cut your squares. You need 4 each of the canvas, cotton, and batting. A 5 1/4” square makes a nice sized coaster.

110_4891

3. Pick your conversation heart phrases to write. I chose Love, Be Mine, XOXO, and Dream. Write it on the fabric. Place fabric in hoop.

110_4892

4. Now you are going to embroider your handwriting. Confession…I have never embroidered in my life so I kind of learned as I went. I am sure I am doing this wrong, but you can read the words and that’s what matters, right? I just did a little running stitch over my writing. It’s not perfect, but I think that adds to the character a bit!110_4894

5. Take the hoop off. Turn your work over and trace your heart shape with your cookie cutter. Make sure your writing is centered in the heart shape. Freehand this if you want to…I am not an artist thus the cookie cutter :P

110_4895

6. Cut out your heart! Awwww, so cute!

110_4896

7. Repeat these steps for the next 3 hearts.

110_4897

8. {You can skip this step and just use pins, but I like a little extra insurance. You can also use some Heat N Bond or Wonder Under, but I was feeling lazy and busted out my trusty Liquid Stitch.} Place a fine line of glue around your shape.

110_4898

9. Stick it down on the canvas.

110_4899

10. Stitch down. You can use whatever appliqué stitch you like. Zig Zag, finish stitch, etc…but I just did some raw edge appliqué about an 1/8 of an inch from the edge. I like how it frays over time. Oh and if you have one, a clear foot helps to keep everything nice and pretty.

110_4900

11. Once all your hearts are stitched down, you are ready to layer up and sew your coasters together! Batting first, then the top with the heart, then the backing.

110_4901

12. I pin to prevent shifting. You don’t HAVE to.

110_4902

13. Sew your coasters! For the rest of the process, I like to use my walking foot. Again, you don’t have to have a special foot, but if you have one it helps. I use it every time I sew something with batting because my machine has attitude about too many layers. Make sure you use a 1/4 seam allowance and leave a 2-3 inch opening for turning.

110_4903

14. Clip your corners. Turn inside out. Poke the corners out nice and sharp. Press well. Pin opening closed.

110_4904

15. Topstitch making sure to catch the opening.

110_4905

And that’s it! A fun and simple project to get you in the mood for Valentine’s Day!

110_4911

They can be reversible too if you want to mix and match!

110_4912

Blessings!

6 comments:

  1. Very Cute! I love cute coasters. I really love your coffee Cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tutorial! They are so cute. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah this is nice. I also want to try it as soon as possible.

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful! I love the stitching on them - and the attention to detail. I posted about conversation coasters I made a couple of weeks ago - but I cheated and printed the words on the fabric!

    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I love the hand embroidery and red/blue is one of my fav color combos!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day! Is your email linked to your profile so I can reply to you? Hope so!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...